Monday, August 20, 2012

Trial and Error

As with most things, practice makes perfect and trial and error are the best ways to learn things, ok enough with the witty cliches. 
Although they are correct, this post is about crocheting.
Awhile ago my cousins wife who is mom of this adorable one from our wedding


approached me to make some hats for her bun in the oven
She wanted me to make her several cute popular designs, I am sure that you have seen around
(thats for a different post)

Well, I did my research and looked for patterns. 
I have made hats before, but had no reference to a smaller head and how small really is an infant?
 I looked, I tried and was not very successful.


This picture is a representation of the 2 righties who claim to be a size newborn and 3-6 month.. 
yeah right in your dreams.
I had to had that snip bit of sarcasm because not only did those two hats not even come close to fitting a newborn they wouldn't even fit a doll or a premie.

So I did what anyone would do, through trial and error I came up with my own 3-6 month pattern.

So here it is folks.. you may use my pattern for any purpose including but not limited to selling, gifts, or features but please give credit where credit is due, thanks.


Newbie hats:

Notes: Ch. 2 at beginning of row does count as part of dc sequence

- Chain (ch.) 4 slip stitch (sl st) to create ring
- ch. 2 and continue with 8 double crochets (dc) in the middle of the ring sl st at the top of ch 2
- ch. 2 and place dc in same space, continue in circle with 2 dc in each space sl st at the top of ch 2
- ch. 2,* 2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st* continue from * in circle until complete sl st at the top of ch 2
- ch. 2, 1 dc in next 1 sts, *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 2 sts* continue from * in circle until complete sl  
  st at the top of ch 2
- ch. 2, 1 dc in next 11 sts, *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 12 sts* continue from * in circle until complete 
  sl st at the top of ch 2
- ch. 2, 1 dc in next 12 sts, *2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next 13 sts* continue from * in circle until complete
  sl st at the top of ch 2
- ch. 2, 1 dc in each st in circle until complete sl st at the top of ch 2 (repeat for 3 rows)
- ch. 1, 1 sc in each st  in circle until complete sl st at the top of ch 1 (repeat for 4 rows)

tie off and finish off ends and you are done.. yay. 


You can add frills, thrills, buttons and flowers to this pattern for more variety as well as different colors. 

This is just a basic beanie pattern.

Have you tried it? Let me know how it goes.


signature











This post will be linking up this week here

3 comments:

  1. Good idea I also crochet and have found making the right size for babies so hard! I wound up making my own patters as well. I did mine a little different but I think this is just great what you did. This will help a lot of people and it would have helped me a year ago! I think you will help save someone some time :)

    Kasey http://mylifeonthedivide.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute beanies! I can't crochet - but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who do who will appreciate this pattern!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo cute!! I haven't crocheted in years....you make me want to get out my needles and yarn!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me some love.